Become a member or
Our mission: To actively research, collect, preserve, and present the historical importance of Rome, N.Y. and to serve as an educational and community resource.
Or download, print, complete form,
and mail to:
Rome Historical Society
200 Church St
Rome NY 13440
The Battle of Fort Bull was a French attack on the British-held Fort Bull on March 27th, 1756, early on in the French and Indian War. The fort was built to defend a portion of the waterway connecting Albany, New York to Lake Ontario via the Mohawk River. Lt. Gaspard-Joseph Chaussegros De Léry led his command, consisting of forces from the Troupes de la Marine, Canadian militia, and Indian allies, on an attack against Fort Bull on March 27, 1756. Shielded by trees, they sneaked up to within 100 yards (91 m) of the fort. De Léry then ordered a charge at the fort with bayonets. They stuck their muskets into the narrow openings in the fort and shot the defenders .De Léry repeatedly asked for their surrender and was refused. Finally, the gate was crashed in and the French and Indians swarmed in, killing everyone they saw. The French soldiers looted what they could and set the powder magazines on fire. The fort was burned to the ground.
The marker and remains of Fort Bull are located behind the Erie Canal Village on Rome-New London Road, State Route 46, in Rome, NY. Coordinates are:
43° 13'34.9" N 75° 30'09.2" W
This site is only open by guided tour. To schedule a tour, please contact Rome Historical Society.
"For generations, the seasons of low water, the bateaux of traders and the armies were here removed from the Mohawk (as the river then flowed) and conveyed across the Oneida Carrying Place to be relaunched in Wood Creek. Here August 2, 1777 Lt. Henry Bird commanding St. Ledger's advance guard composed of 30 regulars and a party of Indians under Joseph Brant established the first camp of the British investment of Fort Stanwix. This was attacked and looted Aug. 6 by Lt. Col. Willett and 250 Continental troops. Capt. Lerndult and 100 British regulars then erected here a fortified camp with a cannon and held it for the remainder of the siege. Here also was the lock, the starting point for the first canal connecting the waters of the Mohawk and Wood Creek commenced by the Western Inland Lock and Navigation Co. in 1782." From inscription
The stone and pathway is located on Martin Street, near the intersection of Mill and Martin Streets. Coordinates are: 43° 11.924′ N, 75° 26.687′ W
This site is open to the general public all-year, at any time. Please contact Rome Historical Society if you would like to set up a guided tour.
The Tomb of the Unknown American Revolutionary War Soldiers was dedicated on July 4, 1976 when the remains of eight Continental Army soldiers, identified by their regimental uniform buttons, were re-interred. The remains were found during an archeological dig at what was once the site of Fort Stanwix. The fort, manned by soldiers under the command of Col. Peter Gansevoort, was put under siege by the British and their Indian allies from August 2 to 22, 1777. It has been said that Fort Stanwix is where the "Stars and Stripes" first flew in battle, lending a particular honor and interest to this site and the soldiers interred here. The Tomb was the last architectural work of Lorimer Rich, who also designed the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery. Rev. Terry L. Hurlbutt).
The Tomb stands on a small park plot on the corner of North James and West Liberty Streets in Rome, New York, and is located near the northwest corner of the restored Fort Stanwix National Monument.
Visitation available all-year. Gate is open for special events and by request.